Five Good Reasons to Support WRP
What makes WRP stand out from other theatres? It’s hard to explain. Imagine you’ve just driven to WRP, the gravel crunching under your shoes as you enter. It could be during the summer with our AC, or during the winter with heat; either way, walking inside is a relief. You hear charming preshow music and excited patrons chattering in the other room as our box office manager greets you. They remember you from last time, or welcome you if this is your first time. You enter the theatre area and, while looking at the intricately built set, the excitement and anticipation from patrons, cast, and crew are evident. As you recline in one of our cozy red chairs, perhaps a snack from the concessions or a unique cocktail themed by the show are in your hands. After perusing the program, the lights dim, the music swells, and the show begins. The crowd hushes around you, and suddenly, you, the audience, cast, and crew are in the community of the performance.
This is the beauty of WRP.
1. This is where talent is nurtured. Art is necessary, and it’s our job as storytellers to bring theatre to life. If you’ve seen the Broadway recording of Hamilton, visited Playhouse Square for a grand musical, or saw a unique show at your local theatre, you’ve seen all the people that come together to create art. WRP focuses on an experience for both veteran and new artists, and is dedicated to welcoming new people into the industry.
2. Theatre is an important outlet. Whether you’re watching or participating, theatre is a great way to outlet your creative energy and emotions. The Greek notion of catharsis is the purging of emotions, which is why you feel better after laughing or crying during a production. Most importantly, WRP is extremely accessible to students, with our youth shows and classes, which help teach the importance of acting, dancing, and singing. Theatre is as much of a hobby as it is a profession, and we love to help others join!
3. Join our community. “Community” is an extremely important word to WRP. Every production should feel like a family working together, from the actors on our stage to our board operators behind-the-scenes, and everyone in between. The comfort of our volunteers, staff, and patrons is the most valuable thing to us, when putting on a production. We love to see people return to WRP as much as we love to see brand-new folks as well. No matter how many years you’re supported us, we’ll welcome you into our community with open arms.
4. Advertise and support local. We are the historic theatre of Bath, Ohio, and we strive to give back to our community as much as possible. We have local sponsors and advertisers who will appear in our programs, on our website, and whose business cards may even be in the WRP lobby. These ads are thought to reach 2,000+ people from WRP. As a small institution ourselves, we see the importance in helping other businesses. Please see our link below if you’re interested in advertising with us!
5. Become part of the process. Did you do theatre as a student, and miss the atmosphere? Have skills as a carpenter but nothing to make? Or want to try your hand at mixing our specialty drinks and cocktails for a night? WRP is always recruiting new volunteers of all kinds! If you’d like to work behind-the-scenes, we often hold work sessions for new productions or renovations at The Barn, and you’re always welcome to join! Or, if you’d like to see a show for free, volunteer to help usher or run our concessions counter! Send us a message through the website or our Facebook page, and we’d love to have you!